All images on this site are copyright Tim Hunt & Karen Massey 1995-2007.

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Illustration Friday: Homage

Cities and their Monuments
collage and paint on canvas board 7"X9" (click on image to enlarge)
This is an homage to one of my favorite artists, Claes Oldenburg. I like how he has taken mundane objects such as clothespins, trowels and matchbooks and made them monumental. His work has a lot of humour and his sketches of prospective works are beautifully executed.
This is also an homage to big roadside attractions; giant beavers, collossal fish, and the like, that are manufactured to bring in the tourists. I grew up in a northern mining town where the main attraction was "The Big Nickel".
The city is also home to the "Superstack", the world's 2nd tallest industrial smokestack that spreads toxins far and wide over the majestic northern landscape.

9 comments:

Isabel said...

I like how your signature collages are evolving.

Do you use a typewriter or do you use a word processing program and then age the paper with tea?

timafli said...

Nice collage and the style of graphic novel storytelling. COOL!

Vhrsti said...

Great! Fabulous!

redcatdance said...

Ah Tim. The Wawa Goose is right up there isn't it? I adore this collage. It is fantastic. Your use of the cat is genius. I'd make the trip to see it. Bravo! Strong illo.

Lorie McCown said...

This is nice, and I love the old type as well..

Digital Scott's Illustrationblog said...

Nice homage! I like Oldenburg.

Anonymous said...

hey tim, your brain seems very interesting! this is just terrific...

SayBlade said...

Hey Tim! I can relate to the Big Nickel and the Superstack thing. Well, you know why, because we were in the same household for that time. For your readers, yep, I'm the sister (preen) to this artist upon whom you fine readers heap high praise!

Last November, I tried to capture the giant apple on the 401 near Coburg on my digital cam. Not good from a moving car!

On the radio Tuesday morning, I heard about the extension to be mounted on top of the CN Tower so it would be taller than the new tower in Dubai. Well, 'twas an April Fool joke and I am glad I didn't miss it.

We still have the world's highest wine cellar in TO!!!

On a more wistful note, perhaps the grandest monument would be to a place that has eradicated poverty. That would be a very tall place, indeed.

Elizabeth Parsons said...

you should be an illustrator for magazines- your style would go over big- I am sure- love your collage work, and you humor makes it even better- terrific!
eBeth (again)